Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Riverplace Athletic Club

Last night, I started by month long Yollar membership at the Riverplace Athletic Club.  The verdict is mixed but, obviously, I'll wait until I've gone a few more times to make the final call.  

I got there half an hour before my class and had a very enjoyable tour of their facilities including the pool, indoor track (16 laps to a mile?!?!??!!), basketball court, workout studios, cardio bays and weight room.  I then headed to the first class on my agenda - Ab Lab.  Upon walking in, the instructor didn't greet me or suggest what equipment I needed to gather.  I spread out my yoga mat and grabbed a ball like everyone else had.  She did start the class promptly on time but didn't vocalize any of the moves so I had to watch her and switch when she did.  That said, it was a good, hard ab workout and I'm definitely feeling it today.


Next up was the Fit Training class.  I decided to take this class because the description on the website made it sound kind of like a boot camp:  

Fit Training - This class is designed to address your
endurance, agility, strength, speed and power. The indoor
track, stairs, push-ups and weights are incorporated into
this intensive workout. You perform a series of drills,
adding challenging, multi-level moves over several weeks.
Improve your ability to burn fat using intervals and cross
training.

First off, I was told that it met at the track...  but then I could see from the track a group of people with the instructor from Ab Lab gathering by the front door.  So I went over and asked if they were meeting for Fit Training.  She said 'yes' but still did not introduce herself or ask my name.  Everyone was excited because class was going to be outside so that sounded good to me.  We headed off to run to the Hawthorne Bridge and then do some exercises on the other side.  Then she decided, no, we'd run on to the Burnside and we'd do the stairs three times and then do some exercises.  Then she decided, no, we'd run back to the club and do some kettle bell stuff there.  Then a couple of the guys said they were going to run back the long way instead so then she decided that everyone would.  At this point, I'd already run 6 miles at lunch and with the out and back was adding another 3 or so miles.  All this coming off a marathon just over two weeks ago.  I'm pretty sure I don't need a running class...  so this class was a total bust (and irritation) for me.  

This instructor clearly isn't for me but there is a yoga class on Tuesday and Thursdays at 5 that I'm going to take instead of the Ab Lab/Fit Training combo.  Things that I really did like include the 2 1/2 hours of free parking and free towel service.  The locker room is nice and I love being able to take a quick shower after a workout.  The locker room is well stocked with shampoo, conditioner, shave gel, body wash, cotton balls, Q-tips, hair spray and body lotion.  Not that I use all those things but it's still nice that they are there.  


I'll let you know how the other classes go and what I think after a few more days of membership. 

2 comments:

  1. i have always wanted to check out the RAC - but the fees have always gotten in my way. Bummer that it didn't live up to the reputation it has in the neighborhood. I hope your yoga class goes better (and without that instructor - which sounds like the main problem). Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to a yoga class last night and had a much better experience. I'm going to chalk it up to an instructor who just isn't my style because I've otherwise liked the place. I agree, though, that the price is out of range. If it were under $50 a month, instead of $99, I might consider it. But for $39, it works out great!!

    ReplyDelete